ADCO Mirteron is an international brand of mirtazapine, a tetracyclic antidepressant that is used to treat depression and, in come cases, insomnia. At PatientsLikeMe, where more than 115,000 patients are sharing their experiences with prescription drugs, supplements and more, we have just one patient who reports taking ADCO Mirteron while more than 300 patients report taking another branded or generic formulation of mirtazapine. (Other brand names include Remeron, Avanza, Zispin, Axit, Mirzaten and Rexer.)
What can we learn from these patients’ experiences? Quite a bit, actually, thanks to PatientsLikeMe’s unique data-sharing platform. For example, the most commonly reported dosage of mirtazapine is 15mg daily, the most commonly reported cost is “under $25,” and the most commonly reported side effects include weight gain, increased appetite and drowsiness. 153 of our patients have discontinued mirtazapine, with side effects, lack of efficacy and doctor’s advice among the top reasons cited.
Here are some highlights from the 130 treatment evaluations our patients have submitted for mirtazapine (the generic form of ADCO Mirteron):
- “After trying almost every other depression med and mood stabilizer out there, this is the one that’s worked well for me. Wish I had found it sooner.” – Patient with major depressive disorder
- “I take this medicine to help me sleep at night, but it also helps a bit with my depression and anxiety.” – Patient with fibromyalgia
- “Works well, but leaves me a little sleepy or slow throughout the day. Need to make sure you get 8-9 hours sleep or the sleepy feeling stays with you all day.” – Patient with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- “Very hungry when taking this med. I take 30mg in the morning and by 2pm I have had my total daily allowance of calories!” – Patient with general anxiety disorder (GAD)
- “When I was depressed, it was very effective and my body adjusted to the sedation effects. As my depression lifted, I experienced more and more difficulty in waking up.” – Patient with bipolar disorder
- “I can see why other people can have problems with the constant drowsiness and increased appetite/weight gain, but for an anxious under-eating insomniac like me, it was ideal.” – Patient with major depressive disorder
JOIN PATIENTSLIKEME TODAY
Have you taken ADCO Mirteron – or another brand of mirtazapine? Join PatientsLikeMe and add your experiences to our growing body of knowledge. Then, stay for the support. With nearly 30,000 members who report a mental health condition, we have a tremendous amount of discussion and activity in our Mental Health and Behavior Forum. Chime in today.