Over the years, the PatientsLikeMe ALS community has shared what products help them manage their new normal with ALS. From eye-gaze devices to elevated toilet seats and alternating pressure mattresses, we compiled a list of some of the products that you, the experts, are talking about in the forum. Check it out:
When it gets difficult to turn over, members mentioned:
- Drive Medical alternating pressure mattress
- Check out Amazon for a variety of inexpensive alternating pressure mattress pads and pumps
To manage muscle weakness, Kate shared a list of helpful products:
- For writing: PenAgain – alternative style pen, eliminates the need for a firm thumb-forefinger grip to write. Available online and in office supply stores.
- Magnetic closure shirts. The shirts have buttons sewn on the front, but the closure is secured with small magnets behind the buttons, including the cuffs.
- Devices that “cinch” your shoelaces (regular or elastic) closed so you don’t have to tie your shoes each time. An example is “lock laces.”
- The “Toilevator” is a very small pedestal that goes under the entire toilet and lifts the entire thing up about 3 ½ inches, works with a bidet seat.
And, other communication devices:
- Boogie Board, Microsoft Surface tablet, an iPad with “Speak It!” app, and a ZUVO device that can transition to eye-gaze when needed.
When transferring to and from the toilet gets tough, members mention:
For personal hygiene:
What products help you? In the market for something specific? Head to the forum – the community might have a recommendation.
Share this post on Twitter and help spread the word.