January is Thyroid Awareness Month. Why do we need awareness? An estimated 15 million Americans have undiagnosed thyroid problems. Women are five times more likely than men to suffer from hypothyroidism, which occurs when the gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone for the body to function properly.
Who has HYPOthyroidism on PatientsLikeMe?
- 6,920 patients have this condition
- 30 new patients joined this month
- 1,271 say hypothyroidism is their primary condition
Who has HYPERthyroidism on PatientsLikeMe?
- 518 patients have this condition
- 3 new patients joined this month
- 166 say hyperthyroidism is their primary condition
A simple self-exam to “check your neck” could help with early detection or help you find lumps or enlargements in the neck that may point to a thyroid condition.
Think you might have a thyroid problem? Here’s how to perform a neck check at home – all you need is a handheld mirror and a glass of water:
What’s one thing you’d like others to know about living with a thyroid condition? Comment here or head to the forum to join the conversation.
Share this post on Twitter and help spread the word.