This Spring, as you’re out at disease-related fundraiser events, take note of the people in those bright blue t-shirts walking, running or biking by your side. Those are patients like you!
Since its launch in 2009, more than 1,700 people (including patients, friends and family members) have taken part in the PatientsLikeMeInMotion™ program to raise money and awareness for various conditions. Here are some fun facts about PatientsLikeMeInMotion and a video of some of our members who have participated.
2009 Quick Facts
- 2009 marked the debut of the PatientsLikeMeInMotion program.
- Approximately 40 PatientsLikeMe members signed up teams to participate in PatientsLikeMeInMotion and led more than 700 people on PatientsLikeMe teams across the United States.
- In its first year, the PatientsLikeMeInMotion program donated over $9,000 for charitable disease foundations such as the National MS Society (NMSS), Parkinson’s Alliance and the ALS Association (ALSA).
- The largest member team in 2009 was formed for the annual Parkinson’s Unity Walk in New York. It’s here where we first met and interviewed some of our members (see our YouTube page to meet them).
2010 Quick Facts
- A breakout year for the program, PatientsLikeMeInMotion doubled our number of sponsored teams from 38 in 2009 to 60 in 2010.
- PatientsLikeMe members led teams of more than 1,000 people total wearing the recognizable, bright blue PatientsLikeMeInMotion t-shirts to events across 15 states.
- Together, member-led teams raised more than $15,000 for their charitable disease foundations through PatientsLikeMeInMotion donations.
- PatientsLikeMe teams were present at 20 NMSS events and 12 ALSA events, as well as fundraisers run by The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), The Epilepsy Foundation of America and the Parkinson’s Unity Walk.
- PatientsLikeMe had the opportunity to sponsor Team Mid New England at the U.S. Transplant Games in Madison, WI (see highlights here.)
- In 2010, we also launched our PatientsLikeMeInMotion Flickr page to host all of the photos our teams have submitted over the years. Check it out.
So, what will 2011 look like for PatientsLikeMeInMotion? That’s entirely up to you! Do you have an awareness event in your area you would like to be a part of? Sign your run/walk/bike team up for PatientsLikeMeInMotion and count on us to support you – both online and off!